Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Week 2

I just realized that I never actually "published" my second technology review. As I tell my students constantly; technology is great, so long as I can figure out how to work it correctly! Ha! Anyway, here are my reviews on our second week of class.

Spreadsheets and Databases

I teach 7th grade language arts, and I have struggled with finding ways to incorporate Excel spreadsheets and databases into my classroom.  I use Excel to track student progress, but I use it in a very generic form; I could print off a blank spreadsheet from Infinite Campus and be just as effective. As far as finding student uses for it, I was unable to think of anything.  So, I turned to my trusty BFF, Google. I found ideas for students to use Excel for time-management (similar to an electronic agenda), but I came up empty otherwise.  

Then, I found a goldmine resource: Internet 4 Classroom, a website all about utilizing the Internet within your instruction.  If you haven't checked it out, be sure to take the time. It's one of those rare gems that I am certain will make it into my weekly rotation of resources! There is a step-by-step overview of the process of creating a review "game" in Excel. Teachers would embed the link for the spreadsheet in their website/blog.  Students would open it and use drag-and-drop to review concepts. The example given in the original post was to practice vocabulary words (similar to a word wall). Story Sequencing is one of the ideas that I am excited to try in my own classroom.  I have been reviewing plot mapping this past week, and it would have been so helpful to have this resource! 


Podcasts and Wikis

I have been a huge fan of podcasts for years. As a self-proclaimed nerd, I love the fact that I can listen to my favorite talk radio programs at anytime via a podcast. I had never thought of using podcasts in the classroom until this year, though. In my mind, particularly in my school, podcasts would be a great addition to the classroom. Many students have iPods or phones, but they do not have internet at home. They could download the podcasts before leaving the school and then listen to them at their convenience. This would be a great way to incorporate a flipped classroom. They could also be used for students who are absent from class or need to review a specific lesson, similar to the recorded Blackboard sessions.

My school curriculum coordinator adores wikis. Truthfully, I find them to be kind of eeeh. But, I think that's due to my lack of exploration; I haven't taken the time to learn the ins and outs so to speak. Until now. Basically, a wiki is similar to Dropbox (speaking of adoration) except you don't have to have an account to access it. I also think they're a lot like a high-tech encyclopedia in that they can contain as much information about a particular subject as possible. My district uses a wiki to provide teachers with curriculum mapping tools, helpful websites, and important dates. My school uses it for the same purposes, only they also include a sign-up spot for the computer labs and mobile iPad carts. I like the idea of utilizing wikis in the classroom. I think they would be a great project for differentiation. Students could create one specifically pertaining to an assigned topic.  I viewed a wiki created by Mrs. Toland. It served as her class website, and students could visit it to access important information for the class. There weren't any student submissions (it was teacher-managed or at least written through the perspective of the teacher). It was from last year, so I'm not sure that it is updated regularly. It didn't appear to be used to support problem solving/higher-order thinking; it was primarily a classroom website with assignment due dates and a few homework help links. If I were maintaining this wiki, I would change the dates to reflect the current year and add a tip generator that would provide content specific tips or quiz type questions. I would also allow students to submit assignments for peer-review during the writing process.

Concept Mapping

Of all of the things we investigated this week, concept mapping is the one I am most excited to use in my classroom. Apparently, I have been hiding under a rock because everyone except me seemed to know about them. I have already started collaborating with our art teacher to use concept maps on our next unit! My students use Animoto for projects (we just did book talks last week, and several of them created an Animoto), so they are already familiar with the digital version of concept mapping (I love Animotos, I just didn't know that they were considered to be concept maps until this week!). I really like that the students can present the same material in a way that visually appeals to their brains. I am a visual learner, so I always make lists and webs. I had never seen them taken to the next level until this week; I can't wait to demonstrate it for my students, especially my special education kids; they will LOVE getting to draw on their notes!

I'll be back next week with more great technology resources! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment